0% - Initiate more programs to help small businesses
71% - Get out of our way by reducing taxes and regulations
29% - Both of the above
These days it seems a lot of people have their hands out for help from the government; from GM, Chrysler, and AIG, to who knows how many big banks. Then there are the unions, public and private, that rely on government support for their very existence. Big corporations make billions of profits doing business with the government. And one out of every seven Americans - over 50 million - now receives some kind of welfare.
But there is another group of folks out there that is about half the number of welfare recipients, produces over half of the U.S. economy, and sign over 70 million paychecks every week - small business owners. So what does this group want from the government? Well, we asked them about that last week in our online poll, with this question: What do you want the federal government to do to help you with your small business? Here’s what they said:
Not one person chose, “Initiate more programs to help small businesses,” as their answer. But those who believe the government should just, “Get out of our way by reducing taxes and regulations,” came in at 71%. The rest, 29%, allowed that the government should do “Both of the above.”
What if every group of Americans felt the same way small business owners do? I would like to see what that looks like, wouldn’t you?